Social Innovation Challenge
Social Innovation Challenge
Design X Social is UMO.Design i.e., UMO’s core event which reflects its founding philosophy of ‘good design for better living’. This social innovation challenge aims to create a positive impact in the lives of people by identifying social issues and addressing them by design.
Solve an urgent problem
Join UMO.Design network and learn design
The urgent problem
“Public Safety & Well Being in Transportation” is this year’s topic. We request the participating teams to dig deeper into this area and identify an issue that you would like to solve.
Businesses and Enterprises
Work closely with a govt representative
Learn design firsthand with expert design mentors
Get discounted (not on Early Bird) entry to UXINDIA 2019
Top 3 will win Design X Social Innovation Awards at UXINDIA 2019
Showcase your innovation at UXINDIA 2019 EXPO
Get participation certificate
Design X Social Challenge is a first of its kind in India. UMO.Design is determined to take this challenge locally in cities and scale it to the national level. As a part of this UMO.Design is proud to launch Design X Social Awards to recognize the best in the following.
Design X Social Best Design Award
Design X Social Special Jury Award
Design X Social People Choice Award
Winners Gold Design X Award Trophy (3)
Special Jury Blue Design X Award Trophy
People Choice Award Red Design X Award Trophy
Besides trophies all members of the winning teams who are present at the conference will be given certificates.
Form teams and sign up for the challenge
Whether you are from the academia, from the industry or a citizen, you should participate in teams.
- Minimum team size is 3 and maximum 5
- We encourage diversity in your teams. Diversity in expertise, industry domain, gender, etc.,
- Brownie points for including a common man/ citizen in your teams.
- There is no Entry Fees. Your registration ticket to the conference is enough
- All the team members must register for the conference
- Buy tickets to the conference and make a note of Ticket Number
- Click on the “Submit your Team” and enter the Ticket Number in the form.
- Fill in details in the online submission form
- Repeat the steps if you have multiple entries.
Teams will be assigned a mentor (optional)
Identify a social issue
a. The problem identified
b. Why is it an urgent/important problem?
c. Target user – Who is getting affected by the problem?
d. What is the significance and impact of the problem?
e. When solved how will it make this world a better place for the identified target user or user group.
d. Share the Google slide deck ‘ Anyone with the link can comment’ mode
Feedback on the submitted Problem
Get introduced to a Govt. Representative
Submit your proposed solution.
a. How does your solution address the problem?
b. Any alternatives you have considered?
c. Why is it a best solution?
d. How does it change the lives of the target user or users groups
e. What does it take to implement this solution?
Feedback on the Solution.
Prepare an A0 size (46.8 x 33.1in) poster
Winners and Awards
Significance of the problem
Craft and Aesthetics
Benefit to the Client/Business or Society
- How does this design improve the client’s profitability, brand reputation and/or employee morale?
- How does this design benefit greater good; consider society, the environment, culture and/or the economy?
Sign up. Be the change you want to see.
Hope you are excited about this challenge. This is the time to go after the issues that we have been either taking a note of in our sketchbooks on in the back of our minds for a long time.
Be the change